July 28, 2010

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I tried this new recipe last night and really loved it.  I found this recipe at a website called 101 Cookbooks.  You can find this recipe here.  Since I am working on the 8 Weeks to Optimum Health by Dr. Andrew Weil, I was excited to find a cookie recipe with whole grains.  This has rolled oats, whole wheat flour, and wheat brain.  (For any of you who liked my Nutritious Oatmeal Bran Muffins, you could use the oat bran in this recipe in exchange for the wheat bran.)

I only made a couple of changes to the recipe.  Instead of using dark brown sugar or Muscovado sugar, I used Turbinado sugar.  It was getting old and clumpy and needed to be used.  This may have changed the texture a little bit.  I have found Turbinado sugar tends to do that when I cook with it.  Also for the 10 oz of semi-sweet chocolate bar, I used less than 1/2 of a 11.5 oz bag each of Milk Chocolate Chips and Dark Chocolate Chips.  I was out of semi-sweet or I would have used 10 oz of them and I didn't have any chocolate bars.

The cookies turned out crunchy, chewy and would make great cookies to sandwich ice cream between.  They were scrumptious and even approved by my 17 year old!

Pop on over to 101 Cookbooks and check out her website.  I believe she is a vegetarian and all of her recipes look delicious.  In this part of the country, the problem sometimes is finding the ingredients.  Have a great Wednesday!

Judy :)

07/30/10 Note:  Linked to The Inspired Room.  These cookies have "inspired" me because you can eat healthy even when you are having a treat!  Hope everyone enjoys these.

1 comment:

  1. Looks so good! I was telling my massage therapist about your blog the other day and I think she is going to look you up! She liked your easy, healthy ideas I told her about.

    ReplyDelete

We always enjoy your visits to our blog and love reading your comments. Thanks for visiting and check back with us soon!

Judy :)