July 8, 2011

Day 3: 10 Days of Real Food Pledge


For breakfast I tried out that whole wheat banana bread I made last night.  It was a bit dry, but I toasted it with some butter (real butter) and it was pretty good.  I'll be working on that recipe.  I enjoyed my coffee sweetened with real maple syrup and half & half creamer this morning.  I am actually enjoying it a little less sweet than I have in the past.  Maybe no sugar is changing my taste buds.  Lunch was vegetables leftover from last night.  Supper was that wonderful pizza above.

I made one crust with spelt flour and one with whole wheat flour.  The spelt crust actually turned out the better of the two.  The spelt crust is shown in the picture above.  The spelt flour rose nicely and looked better once the pizza was done.  I had done some research on spelt and learned a tip.  When working with spelt, you don't want to work the bread too much.  Spelt has quite a bit of protein and will get tough if it is kneaded.  I only stirred the dough until it was together and then put it in the refrigerator to rise.  I took the dough out and made my crust without any kneading.  The whole wheat crust was much stiffer than what I thought it should be.  I have made whole wheat pizza crust before and it has turned out well.  Maybe I measured something wrong...I just don't know.  I'll try my recipe the next time.

The toppings I used tonight were pesto, artichoke hearts, yellow squash (uncooked), sweet onion, tomato, goat cheese, baked chicken thinly sliced (from last night), and white cheddar cheese.  It really turned out nice.  You can view the pizza recipe I used here.  We had enough of both pizzas left to cover several lunches or suppers in the next couple of days.

Tomorrow we have a one day vacation bible school at church.  It may be challenging to find something under the "real food" category for lunch.  I'll let you know!

Judy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always enjoy your visits to our blog and love reading your comments. Thanks for visiting and check back with us soon!

Judy :)